Why is the CELTA the one ‘must-do’ course?
Look for any job abroad and you are bound to come across the Cambridge CELTA listed as one of the basic requirements.
There are so many very good reasons for this!
- The CELTA Certificate is recognised by employers worldwide
- As a trainee you go through a rigorous selection process
- Employers know you have been taught how to teach using your course-book as well as from material you have designed yourself!
- You have had plenty of opportunities to teach live classses (as opposed to online certificates which do not include teaching practicums)
- You were taught at a recognised centre by Cambridge approved tutors who have appropriate training qualifications and experience
- Each and every course is inspected for quality and moderated by Cambridge appointed assessors.
How many online cheap TEFL courses do you know that can offer so many guarantees?
All CELTA courses include 6 hours of Teaching Practice per trainee – this means you will teach our adult classes 8 lessons of 45 minutes each with two different classes of adult learners, pre-intermediate and upper intermediate. Our learners come from far and wide giving you a truly international experience! But course delivery may vary:
– some of our courses are fully online (content delivery and teaching assessments all online)
– some are blended (content online; teaching assessments in Athens)
– some are mixed mode (content online and half the teaching assessments (4) online; the other half (4) in Athens)
– some are face-to-face in Athens (content delivery and teaching assessments in Athens)
Click any of the buttons below to explore them or just the option which you think will suit you best!
Experience – Quality – Creativity
Top Tutors – Top Reputation
CELT has been operating as a teacher education centre since 1989 and is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in all its teacher training programmes. It’s a top teacher education centre worldwide with an alumni list of more than 4000 candidates in all our teacher education courses.
CELT is an Authorised Cambridge Teaching Awards Centre for the Cambridge DELTA since 1989 and for CELTA since 2006. Since 2006, we have trained more than 1000 candidates on the CELTA course and our pass rate is 100%.
We guarantee excellence in:
- Quality of tutor input and support; please check our tutor profiles and qualifications here. Our team of international tutors has experience of supporting teachers from all over the world and linguistic and cultural diversity which enriches our training and relationships with our learners.
- A rich and varied ELT library with all the books you need for your background reading with a lifetime library membership for our trainees
- Fantastic teaching facilities at our new centre with all the necessary tech including IWB’s (interactive whiteboards), access to Wifi, library and Common Room for our trainees and access to local restaurants and shops – we are in the heart of the city centre.
- Unparalleled online support with special access to resources and self-access study materials
- Job support through our online closed community – during and after your course.
- A variety of course options and start dates available – full-time or part-time in Athens, fully online or, even, mixed mode/ blended online, with some of the teaching assessments online and some in Athens. It has never been easier to choose the best option for your needs!
- A strong alumni community and an international network of peers – we are a connected centre, with a strong presence through publications and conference presentations in person or online. Our presentations page will provide you with a multitude of links highlighting our reputation in the ELT community and our publications which are listed on the tutors’ page speak for themselves.
- A strong presence in all social media and online communities of ELT professionals through community work, volunteering, blogging and more! Our centre director was even nominated and was a finalist in the prestigious ELTons Awards for her work in creating and moderating free professional development for teachers on Twitter. Our Centre Director, Marisa Constantinides, is an international blogger, conference speaker and materials designer, who has put together a great team of CELTA trainers. Read our reviews and testimonies from our trainees here
How to get accepted
Many candidates worry that they do not know anything about teaching. Please do not! The CELTA course is for teachers who have no teaching experience although many teachers without training or a formal teaching qualification also find it useful.
Ideally you should:
- have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education
- be aged 18 or over
- have a standard of English which will enable you to teach a range of levels including advanced classes
- You may still be accepted if you do not have formal qualifications at this level but can demonstrate that you would be likely to complete the course successfully.
Your standard of English should be C1 or higher in oder to help you do well on the course as you will be required to teach both higher and lower levels in your teaching assessments.
If you do not know your level, do take our free placement test here, then write to us to let us know so we can give you your results. Both native and non-native speakers are accepted on the course and both are expected to have a level of education, language awareness and competence in English which will enable them to deal with all aspects of the assessment in a successful way.
Follow these instructions to apply:
- Download our Application Form and return completed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the pre-interview task, a short language assessment which we will send you
- Email your answers to email@example.com
- Arrange a date and time when you can attend an online interview with a course tutor.
- If accepted, pay in your deposit to confirm your place, and begin your pre-course preparation tasks given to you by the centre.
If your course is assessed online, you will be asked to attend a short course on Teaching Onworkiline to help you deal with the technical aspects to teaching online.
This course is free of charge for our CELTA candidates.
What you can do to prepare
Our tutorial team has put together a free website which anyone wishing to apply to follow a CELTA can try to improve their language level on their own or with a colleague. Ask us for details once you apply. The results of solitary/individual work vary – some individuals may do well, others may benefit by attending our Language Awareness Course for ELT Teachers
Cambridge ESOL has published a handbook which includes all the regulations and syllabus of the course. We have included it on the page in case you wish to read it before you apply. Click here to download the cambridge CELTA Syllabus Document
* The Cambridge Syllabus is in pdf format. Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from this link.
Send us an email from this page
Connect with us
Centre for English Language & Training, 3 G.Gennadiou Street, 106 78 Athens, Greece Tel +30 210 3301202 | +30 6974965437 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org