- Are you an experienced teacher of English?
- Have you already followed at least a CELTA
- Have you obtained a Delta or done some post graduate work?
- Do you have excellent classroom teaching skills?
- Is your level of English at a sufficiently high level?
Every teacher has the potential to train other teachers – but training teaching requires specialist knowledge and skills
Train the Trainer is a course for experienced teachers.
Participants develop the knowledge and skills they need to train English language teachers working in primary and secondary schools. They learn how to run training sessions, observe teaching and give feedback.
Teachers who successfully complete the Train the Trainer course are qualified to train teachers on a variety of courses including the Cambridge offering of the CELT-P ( for primary school teachers of English) and CELT-S (for secondary school teachers of English).
With Train the Trainer, teachers show that they:
- have developed skills for designing and delivering teacher training sessions and courses
- have deepened their understanding of key issues in planning and delivering training courses
- have developed an understanding of good practice in observing and giving feedback to course participants
- have identified strategies for their further development as a trainer.
Are you eligible to attend?
For experienced teachers who have at least a CELTA, ideally a Delta, and some years of follow-up teaching experience as well as evidence of commitment to professional development.
Ideally, candidates should have
- at least 5 years of teaching experience (post teacher training)
- a graduate degree in English, Linguistics or related field
- a Cambridge Delta or equivalent level 7 qualification
- a level of English high enough to be able to train teachers and be a fluent and accurate language model
- strong interpersonal skills
- experience in teaching and managing groups of adult learners
The course is offered intensively (over one week), semi-intensively (over two weeks) or part-time, with meetings one morning or evening every week.
Start dates for 1-week courses in 2018
- June 4-8
- August 13-17
N. B. CELT is happy to organise extra courses, especially in the winter term for groups of teachers from the same institution or teaching association.
Start dates for part time courses in 2018
- March 26-June 8
- September 1-November 7
Tuition for external candidates is 1500 euros. Please read the application form for details.
You can download and return the attached application from the link below:
Train the Trainer_Application
- Is there an exam at the end?
No final exam is given. The course assessment is on a continuous basis and is handled through practical hands-on tasks during the course.
- Who awards the Certification?
Cambridge Assessment awards the certificate upon reviewing the candidate’s work and centre recommendation
- Does this course allow participants to become trainers on courses other than the CELT-S and CELT-P?
Yes, it does. The course content and input will give participants generic skills needed by teacher trainers and help them learn to design training sessions for a variety of contexts and needs.
- Does this course qualify participant to become a CELTA tutor?
Although this course does not qualify its participants to become CELTA trainers for which there is a lengthier and more complex induction programme, this course can be one of the first steps towards this goal. CELTA tutors are expected to have considerable experience as trainers, so this course is a great stepping stone to that end.
- Is it possible to join the course if you don’t have a CELTA or Delta?
It is possible, but only if you have a solid theoretical background in teaching methodology through your BA and/or MA studies which must be relevant and have followed an equivalent practical teaching course of a minimum of 120 hours which involved being observed by tutors and a lot of peer observing of tutors and fellow trainees.
If you do not have any of these qualifications, why not start a proper career path by applying to do one of these courses.
Angelos Bollas, recent candidate, talks about how his career developed as a result of the Delta
Email us from this page (and make sure you check your spam folder if expecting an answer from us! )