Have you read the General Introduction to the DELTA first?
Αn integrated course with 24 weeks online and 4 weeks in Athens
Please read the General Introduction to the Delta first and come back to this information
We offer two courses every year, one beginning in the fall, usually early or mid-October and one right after the New Year.
Online for the first 24 weeks
The online course is a part-time one and covers input for Modules 1 & 2 as well as introductory sessions for many of the Module 3 options within attendance dates, but candidates may choose to take each Module separately.
Input is via webinars in our high-tech online classroom. Four 90-minute sessions are taught every week over two days. Times vary from course to course depending on participants’ time zones.
The last two weeks of every course are dedicated to exam preparation for the Module 1 Written Exam. These last two weekends are usually offered near exam dates
During the online input section of the course, all candidates are expected to write their background assignments and fulfil their course obligations – attendance, studying, writing, participation and discussions.
Athens 4-week stay
Out-of-Athens /overseas candidates can fulfil the obligations below during a 4-week stay in Athens:
- teach their diagnostic lesson and get feedback so they can begin working on their Professional Development assignment
- complete their 10 hours of directed observation with our classes
- finalise and submit final drafts of their background assignments and teach lessons connected to their Systems and Skills assignments – three observed & assessed internally and oneby an External Assessor
- write their Experimental Practice Assignment and teach an Experimental lesson
- complete all written parts of their Professional Development Assignment.
N.B. The 4-week stay can be divided into shorter stays, e.g. two 2-week visits
Workload during the course
The DELTA online course was designed to accommodate working teachers from all over the world, candidates who are unable to leave their jobs for the eight weeks required for an intensive course.
Assignments are drafted and submitted duringthe 24 weeks – the teaching part of the 4 assignments is done during the candidates’ Athens stay (see above).
Candidates are also expected to submit drafts of proposed lessons for their assignments although it is understood that these will be refined during their Athens stay.
- Our online course provision is offered via webinars in a VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) in which
candidates attend live synchronous sessionswith their course tutors and fellow course participants. The input sessions, workshops and tutorials cover the syllabus of all three modules in an integrated fashion.
- The tutor and participants use webcams and microphones as well as text chat, and the VLE is equipped with whiteboards, ability to see handouts, powerpointpresentations, videos, shared screens and send and receive audio and video.
Our candidates are also supported through
- A course dedicated resources website, PBworks. This acts as a repository for all resources needed for the trainees to study for their course.
- A course dedicated communication platform, Schoology, for discussions, uploading of assignments, feedback on drafts and much more!
- A closed Facebook group to help network with all our other international candidates, be invited to observe live or live-streamed lessons delivered at CELT (with our candidates’ permission, of course). This is also where we post jobs sent to our centre asking to connect with our candidates or alumni.
School Details – Athens
The centre is situated in the heart of Athens and is easily accessible from every part of the city. It has been an Authorised Cambridge Teaching Awards Centre since 1993. The centre is especially supportive of its trainees, and offers:
- Fully equipped spacious classrooms with interactive whiteboards.
- Multilingual classes of adults where our candidates can observe and be observed while teaching.
- Excellent pre-, while- and post-course support through a Delta course dedicated wiki with organised links, articles, and resources as well as sample assignments and videotaped seminars for preparation and revision.
- Free internet access and use of PCs for lesson preparation and materials design
- An excellent ELT dedicated library and resources, which have received high praise by all Cambridge Assessors.
Dates & tuition
|Online/Blended Course Dates and options|
|Modules 1, 2 & 3
24 weeks online – 4 weeks in Athens
N.B. with a summer break in July & August
|Module 2 only
18 weeks online – 4 weeks in Athens
Cambridge Assessment Dates for Modules 1, 2 & 3
Module 1 WrittenExams can be taken at CELT if you are following a course near the due dates (first Wednesday of June and December each year) or can be taken at any Authorised CELTA/Delta centre near you. There are two exam sessions/periods for Modules 1 & 3, June & December – hence candidates attending fall courses will need to sit Module 1 exams in June or December in Athens or at a centre near them. Module 1 assessment can be taken before or after the Module 2 assessment.
Module 2 –CELT organises external assessments in late May, early August and late November. If requested, external assessments can be scheduled for other times of the year at other times of the year, provided an assessor can be found and the candidate is prepared to pay for the assessor’s flight and accommodation.
There are three exam sessions for Module 2, June, October & December. All Module 2 internal assessments take place in Athens – the same goes for the last, external assessment, although in exceptional circumstances, an external assessor can be flown in to the candidate’s school at the candidate’s expense.
Module 3assignment writing is usually done after the end of the 24-week course. During this stage, you will be assigned a supervising tutor who will support, review drafts and invite you to a number of online tutorials to support your writing.
Preference is given to teachers with recent and varied classroom teaching experience, related degrees and an initial training qualification such as the Cambridge CELTA. A language analysis and methods assessment is used as part of the selection process.
N.B. Our course intake is usually very small – at our centre you will be one amongst a maximum of 10 participants, not just one face in a horde of trainees.
How to Apply
- Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
3. Download the application form (Delta blended) and save it in your hard drive.
4. Complete it offline in your own time and email it to email@example.com
6. Arrange a date and time when you can take your language and methodology screening exam
How to Pay
You can pay for your tuition via bank transfer, Pay Pal or credit card.
There are separate pages for individual courses for Module 1 and Module 3 that you can download from our website
For the Athens stay of overseas or out-of-town candidates.
Individual furnished flatsare available starting at 400-500 Euros for a month (water, electricity & wifi charges included). Early booking is advised.
For a furnished room in a flat shared with one or two other trainees, a rental of 350 per room per month (including all bills as above) is usual. Of course, it is also possible to find accommodation on your own through one of the many sites that offer thisservice.
For details regarding applications, content or timetable, please send an e-mail to:
N.B. If you do send us an email and are waiting for an answer, do check your spam folder and enable all messages from celt.edu.gr as our messages may end up there.
Centre for English Language & Training, 3 G.Gennadiou Street, 106 78 Athens, Greece
Tel +30 210 3302406 | +30 210 3301455 | Fax +30 210 3301202|
Online trainee during her stay in Athens, teaching one of our free classes for her Module 2 assessment.
Requirements for online attendance
Sessions for this online course will be held in Adobe Connect Pro, a virtual classroom space which allows trainees to interact with text chat, voice chat and video and collaborate in groups just as if they were in the same room!
Watch this great video showing the great features of this online VLE
Have you read the information on our intensive 8-week course? Click here for more information
CELT Athens has been an authorised teaching awards centre since 1993