The COVID-19 pandemic has, in just a few short weeks, managed to change the face of education and to bring remote teaching into the picture. Where teachers used to believe that it would take years for online learning to really take hold, a pandemic has completely changed everything we felt safe and comfortable about in foreign language teaching and in education, in general.This situation has created a new demand and need for fully online courses, the Cambridge CELTA being the top course in anyone’s sights. If interested in obtaining your CELTA qualification by attending and teaching online, please visit the dedicated page by clicking here or the image below.
Important:Until the end of the calendar year, we have decided not to offer any contact courses in Athens unless something drastically positive makes it possible. For the time being, we will continue with fully online courses and, if possible, we may allow local candidate one or two opportunities to teach offline. If interested in learning how our fully online programmes work, please click here. Information below refers to the course in Athens which we hope we will be able to offer again soon.
CELTA in Athens
The face to face CELTA is offered as either a part-time course over 12-16 weeks or as an intensive, full-time course completed over 4 weeks. Face to face courses are suitable for people who live in or near Athens or for international student-teachers who are able to come and spend at least four weeks in Athens, an ideal location in Europe to follow this great course.Each course option poses its own demands; full time courses are highly intensive but you are very focused on the content and your progress and you are done in just four weeks. Part time courses can be equally demanding if you are working a full time job but, if teaching, they can give you the opportunity to start trying out ideas with your classes. Which one is the best option for you is, of course, up to you to decide but if you apply and are invited to a personal interview, the course tutor will be able to advise you and help you decide on the best course option. CELTA courses require 100% attendance, so do please study the course options carefully and select the one which is best for you and that you can commit fully to for its duration.
Full-time CELTA courses
Completed over 4 weeks in AthensFull time courses are completed over four weeks and they are offered throughout the academic year as well as in the summer months. We normally run 5-6 such courses every year and our trainees come from around the globe. Attendance is every day during weekdays (Monday to Friday); it is all-day attendance, usually from 10:00 – 18:30. If you cannot manage an Athens stay for more than two weeks, then you may want to consider the online CELTA instead.
Part-time CELTA courses
Completed over 12 or 16 weeks in AthensThis is a course option usually offered with start dates in October and January. There are two attendance choices to accommodate candidates working different schedules.
- Weekdays:with sessions on three mornings per week(half-day sessions 10:00 – 14.00)These sessions are offered on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays (fall term) or on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays (winter term) although the centre is flexible if most applicants wish to follow on alternate mornings.
- Saturdays only – once a week on Saturdays (all-day sessions). If you are currently in full time employment and live in or near Athens, this part-time CELTA which allows you to complete the course at a more relaxed pace, may well be the best choice for you.
School Details – AthensThe centre is situated in the heart of Athens and is easily accessible from every part of the city. It has been an Authorised Cambridge Teaching Awards Centre since 1993. The centre is especially supportive of its trainees, and offers:
- Fully equipped spacious classrooms with interactive whiteboards.
- Multilingual classes of adults where our candidates can observe and be observed while teaching.
- Excellent pre-, while- and post-course support through a CELTA course dedicated wiki with organised links, articles, and resources.
- Free internet access and use of PCs for lesson preparation and materials design
- An excellent ELT dedicated library and resources, which have received high praise by all Cambridge Assessors.
Accommodation OptionsFurnished studio flats are available starting at 400-500 Euros per month (water, electricity & wifi charges included). Early booking is advised for this option. For a furnished room in a flat shared with one or two other trainees, a rental of 350 per room per month (including all bills as above) is usual. Of course, it is also possible to find accommodation on your own through one of the many sites that offer this service.
Follow these instructions to apply:
- Download the Application Form for the CELTA and return completed to email@example.com
- Use the same email if you have queries or would like to talk to one of our tutors.
- A member of our team will send you the ‘pre-interview task’ this is a pre-course written assessment.
- Complete the assessment in your own time (offline in your own time) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arrange a date and time when you can attend the interview with the course tutor.
What can I do to prepare for my course?
Free CELTA preparation website: Our tutorial team has put together a free website which anyone wishing to apply to follow a CELTA can try to improve their language level on their own or with a colleague.
Cambridge ESOL has published a handbook which includes all the regulations and syllabus of the course. We have included it on the page in case you wish to read it before you apply.
* The Cambridge Syllabus is in pdf format. Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from here.here for more