Look for any job abroad and you are bound to come across the Cambridge CELTA listed as one of the basic requirements.
There are so many very good reasons for this!
- The CELTA Certificate is recognised by employers worldwide
- As a trainee you go through a rigorous selection process
- Employers know you have been taught how to teach using your coursebook as well as from material you have designed yourself!
- You have had plenty of opportunities to teach live classses (as opposed to online certificates which do not include teaching practicums)
- You were taught at a recognised centre by Cambridge approved tutors who have appropriate background and experience
- Each and every course taught everywhere in the world is inspected and moderated by Cambridge appointed assessors.
How many online cheap TEFL courses do you know that can offer so many guarantees?
What do you need in order to apply and be accepted?
Ideally you should:
- have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education
- be aged 18 or over
- have a standard of English which will enable you to teach a range of levels including advanced classes
You may still be accepted if you do not have formal qualifications at this level but can demonstrate that you would be likely to complete the course successfully.
Part time courses are offered at least twice during the academic year starting in October and January with sessions on three mornings per week (half-day sessions till 14.00) or once a week on Saturdays (all-day sessions). We also run occasional evening courses and courses on demand (for example, for the teachers of a particular institution).
A full time 4-week option is offered several times a year in February,May, June, July, August, September, November. Sessions are every day from 10:00 to 18:30.
What happens on a course?
The Cambridge CELTA is a demanding but highly rewarding course. During your attendance, you will be following seminars and workshops by top tutors and teaching our adult classes or observing fellow trainees teach these classes. The course will equip you with all the basic teaching, planning and design skills you need in order to deal with any teaching problem.
Listen to Ioanna – a new teacher of English who is building a career abroad after completing her course in late 2015.
Maria, on the other hand, is an experienced teacher who consolidated her career by acquiring more confidence and organisation in her teaching and now working for an international online school.
How we select course participants
Selection of participants is determined through
- a pre-course/pre-interview task which must be completed and sent in before the interview. This task aims to ensure that your language knowledge and skills are of a high enough level to be able to deal with the course successfully as well as to teach adult learners at a range of levels.
- a personal interview with the Course Tutor. In cases where a face-to-face interview is not possible, it is acceptable to be interviewed over the phone, Skype, Google Talk or other voice messenger.
Both native and non-native speakers are accepted on the course and both are expected to have a level of education, language awareness and competence in English which will enable them to deal with all aspects of the assessment in a successful way.
Tuition is 1450 Εuros. Fees must be paid fully up to one month in advance of the start of the course in the case of full time courses; to see the payment schedule for part time courses, please download and read the application form.
A 10% discount offer is available for candidates who register and pay early (3 months prior to a course start).
So make sure you register early to secure a good discount and be certain you will have a place on one of our future courses.
Follow these instructions to apply:
- CELT will contact you to arrange a date and time when you can complete the Pre-interview task and attend an interview (online or at CELT)
- If you are offered a place on the course, you should pay for your tuition & assessment in full (FT/intensive courses) or a deposit of 610 euros (PT courses in Athens).
Cambridge ESOL has published a handbook which includes all the regulations and syllabus of the course. We have included it on the page in case you wish to read it before you apply.
* The Cambridge Syllabus is in pdf format. Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from here.
What we offer
CELT Athens is an Authorised Cambridge Teaching Awards Centre for CELTA and DELTA and has been running Cambridge Diploma level courses since 1993. CELT supports trainee teachers in a variety of ways:
- CELT Athens offers a free library membership for the duration of the course and 3 moths beyond – our library is one of the best in the field of Engish Language Teaching.
- Free photocopying of all Teaching practice material as well as Wi-fi access and access to PC’s and the internet.
- Teaching Practice Classes of adults organised by the centre and available throughout the programme.
- Lifetime membership to our CELTA resources website where they are able to download great tools, materials and find links for their continued professional development.
- Support through our very strong international presence in the social media – as an example check the following
- A growing community of TEFL teachers who completed courses at CELT Athens, many of who are now Directors of Studies or Recruiters and prefer to hire from amongst our trainees