Marisa Constantinides – Centre Director & Owner – CELTA & Delta Tutor
Marisa is a teacher, teacher educator, and ELT author; she is the Director of Studies of CELT Athens responsible for the design and implementation of all courses offered at CELT. Her main ELT qualifications are a Diploma in TEFLA (the RSA Dip. TEFLA, predecessor to the Cambridge Delta) and an M.A. in Applied Linguistics from Reading University.
Marisa is a frequent conference presenter and keynote speaker – some recent presentations can be viewed here – and has presented at IATEFL International, TESOL France, Brazil TESOL, TESOL Greece as well as on numerous online Conferences and Events and has served as a member of the Committee of the IATEFL Learning Technologies SIG (Special Interest Group).
Here is a talk delivered on behalf of Cambridge Assessment to inform prospective candidates about the Cambridge CELTA
Marisa is one of the founding moderators of a weekly hash tagged discussion of ELT teachers on Twitter which was a finalist in the 2012 ELTon Awards for Innovation in Teacher Resources along with fellow moderators of #ELTchat, one of the first and most popular hash tagged conversations on Twitter every Wednesday (find more info on the ELTchat blog.
Marisa has written materials for young learners and for using literature in ELT; she has published articles in a variety of print and online journals – some recent ones can be viewed below:
- Constantinides, M. (2011) ‘Intergating Technology on Initial Training Courses: A Survey Amongst CELTA Tutors”, in International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching (IJCALLT) 1(2)
- Constantinides, M. (2015), “Politeness Principles Across Cultures”, in the Newsletter of the IATEFL Business English Special Interest Group, Summer 2015, Issue 90.
- Constantinides, M. (2015) “Creating Creative Teachers” in Peachey, N. and Maley, A. (eds) “Creativity in English Language Classroom”, British Council (a free download)
- Constantinides, M. (2020) ‘From digital curation to content creation‘, in Mavridi, S. and Xerri, D. (eds.) English for 21st century skills. Newbury: Express Publishing.
A short snippet from a talk delivered on April 16 at the Virtual Round Table Web Coference
Brigid Nugent – Delta Modules Tutor
She holds a Masters in TEFLA from Aston University and became a DELTA tutor, shortly afterwards in 1996, a CELTA tutor in 2000 and an assessor for both in that same year.
For 20 years, she was in charge of the Cambridge examination speaking components and the training up of 15 team leaders, who trained examiners in a number of countries that stretched from Greece and the Mediterranean to Central Asia and parts of North Africa. She was an IELTS trainer and examiner for many of those years. After retiring from that work in 2016 and leaving Turkey, her base for many years, she moved to Italy and became a Joint Chief Assessor for the Cambridge Teaching Qualification Awards, for most of the same countries.
She has been a freelance teacher developer and trainer for most of her professional life in South and Central America, In the Far East, the Middle East and the Near East, as well as in North Africa (and these include exotic places like Mauritius, Ethiopia and Costa Rica – all three countries where she has left her heart and many wonderful colleagues, trainees and students). She has coordinated EMI courses in Chinese Universities (English as a Medium of Instruction), she has conducted numerous teacher development courses, Young learner courses, TKT courses, she has helped set up centres and trained trainers – the normal CV of most freelance trainers.
Her real passion lies in the face to face classroom, with her learners, with her trainees, with her peers, with her colleagues, for her belief is that without passion and kindness and a craving to share that passion with others, good teaching and real learning cannot take place.
Her own marvellously kind Delta tutor taught her that, she says and the best trainers that she has worked with, have always helped to uphold that belief.
Angelos Bollas is from Greece and is a Tutor on the CELT Athens CELTA courses. He obtained his CELTA in 2014 and subsequently completed his Cambridge Delta with us and continued with his MA in English Language Teaching. Currently, he is completing his PhD at Leeds Beckett University researching the effects of heteronormativity on LGBTQI+ students’ motivation.
He has experience of teaching in Greece, general and exam classes and in the UK teaching in EAP classes and training on CELTA and Delta programmes.
He was moderator of #ELTchat on Twitter and for 3 years served as a member of the Conference Committee which organises the Annual IATEFL International Conference in the UK.
At present he lives in Ireland where he is completing his PhD.
Angelos is responsible for a good number of videos aiming to help trainee teachers new to training online with practical tips and advice for different levels. Most of them are used by CELTA trainers around the world as examples of good practices for teaching online.
Here is a one of Angelos’ great tutorials on how to use Zoom in a demo with real students.
Angelos is an Approved CELTA tutor and is the Main Course Tutor for most of our Online CELTA Courses.
Sarah Smith – CELTA & YL Tutor
Sarah is currently based in Greece and has worked as EFL/ESL teacher in Senegal, Japan, Ecuador, Turkey, Thailand, and France. She has also worked as a teacher trainer and mentor, and Senior Teacher for Young Learner Courses. She is a CELTA course tutor and TYLEC course director.
Her areas of interest are teacher training and development, reflective practice, student-centred learning, holistic child development, incorporating life skills in the classroom and encouraging a sense of progress through learning to learn techniques. She is also an advocate for inclusive classroom practices which provide a safe learning environment for all teachers and students. She is currently working on an Applied Linguistics Master’s at the University of Nottingham and her thesis is on Queer Pedagogies: the inclusion of trans*, gender diverse and gender non-conforming students in the EFL classroom.
Her talks and publications include:
- Lilian Stathi and Sarah Smith – Overcoming the B2 Vocabulary Plateau (Presentation at TESOL Greece 2020)
- Stephen Reilly and Sarah Smith -Talking the Talk: Action research in the EFL classroom using voice recordings (Presentation at TESOL France 2017)
- Peter Clements and Sarah Smith – Creating a teacher-led professional development group (Presentation at British Council Teaching for Success Online Conference, 2016: Action research panel discussion | TeachingEnglish | British Council | BBC)
- Peter Clements and Sarah Smith – Anyone for Quircling? English Teaching Professional (Volume 106) September 2016
She is @SarahSmithELT on Twitter
Mohamed El Mohamady is from Egypt and is a Tutor on the CELT Athens CELTA courses; he obtained his CELTA in 2012 and completed his Cambridge Delta with us in 2018.
He has experience of teaching General English in Egypt and, more recently, English for Specific Purposes in Saudi Arabia where he also works as an Assessment Coordinator for a local Polytechnic.
In the summer of 2019, he followed our CELTA tutor induction programme and has been working with us since.
Mohamed has conducted many workshops and presentations in TESOL conferences inEgypt, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Bahrain, served as a member in the proposal reviewing committee of the TESOL Arabia 25th International Conference & Exhibition. He was one of the contributors in the new publication “More Recipes for the Wireless Classroom”.
At present he lives in Saudi Arabia where he
He is an Approved CELTA Tutor – he started in 2020 and celebrated his first CELTA course with a great video getting feedback from our trainees. Welcome to our team, Mohamed!
He is @malmohamady80 on Twitter
Mohamady taking feedback from his CELTA trainees
Paul Ashe – Delta ELT Management Course Tutor
Paul Ashe is based in Spain and has been involved in the world of TEFL since 1997 when he completed his CELTA & later DELTA in London. He has experience in different areas of the ELT sector including materials writing and editing for different publishers, Teacher Training (online and face-to-face), educational consultancy, Director of a school & Director of Studies and has had the pleasure of teaching teachers and training Academic Managers all over the world. Paul is also an examiner for two major examining boards and is certified and experienced in face-to-face and online Teacher Training, teaching Young Learners, CLIL, and is a certified Google Educator. He has experience as a local DELTA tutor and has created Continuous Professional Development Programmes in both online and face-to-face modalities. Paul regularly attends and speaks at international conferences on the topic of Academic Management.
Some of his recent Talks include:
- ‘Observations – The make or break of a teacher’ – Academic Management – ACEIA Conference – Seville 2019.
- ‘The Teacher as Client’ – Academic Management – ACEIA Conference – Seville 2018.
- Speaker at International House World Organisation online Conference. 2013.
- ‘Teaching Language Skills’ – ACEIA Conference – Seville 2009.
- ‘Please Turn your Mobile Phone On’ – ACEIA Conference – Seville 2007.
- ‘Gadgets Galore’ – CETA Conference – Cordoba 2007.
- LAMSIG – ‘The Teacher as Client‘ – pending publication this year.
- English Teaching Professional – ‘Gadgets Galore‘ – May 2007
- English Teaching Professional – ‘It works in practice‘ – January 2007
- English Teaching Professional – ‘Using chopsticks in class’ – April 2010
- Macmillan Education – ‘Teaching with the help of songs‘ – www.onestopenglish.com
- Macmillan Education -‘Money – Just imagine‘ – www.onestopenglish.com
- Macmillan Education – ‘Mingle Activities: Snowball fight‘ – www.onestopenglish.com
- Macmillan Education – Author – ‘Prospects‘ – Secondary Education College Workbook. 2019
- York Press & Egyptian Ministry of Education – Author – ‘Hello‘ – Secondary Course workbook. 2019-2021.
- Pearson Education – Author – ‘Great Fun‘ – Primary Resource book. 2016.
- Pearson Education – Author – ‘Sunshine‘ – Video Activity Books & Videos. 2016.
- Richmond Publishing – Author – ‘Mega Zoom‘ – Video Activity Books & Videos. 2007.