In view of the Covid-19 pandemic, we are unable to offer new dates for in-person courses in Athens for the foreseeable future. Please check our fully online course and ask us if we have places available.
- CELTA trainees now teach their students online instead of teaching at CELT in Athens
- We use Zoom as a our online classroom as it is easy to access for most students even via their mobile phone.
- We have reached out to many other countries and our online students are multicultural and multilingual
- We have written a new Teaching Languages Online short preparation course to help candidates with online teaching tools and applications
Cambridge has extended their initial deadline to the end of this year, so all courses that start this year and until the end of December will be delivered fully online. Please visit this page to learn more about our fully online courses and how they work.
The rest of this page is dedicated to the original blended format which we hope to be able to offer again soon. Keep in touch through our Blog
Information about the Online/Blended CELTA course
Important Note – New Dates for this course option which combines online study and teaching practice in Athens, will be announced later in the year when we feel more confident about the safety of our candidates and our students. We understand how some of you may be more interested in attending an in-person course, however, securing adult learners who are willing to take the risk of coming in every day into an enclosed space, is extremely difficult at this point of time. We will keep our candidates informed through special bulletins and announcements on our blog link, under the news tab.
A blended course completed part time online & in Athens
Please read the General Introduction to the CELTA first and come back to this page
- Are you a working professional who cannot take four weeks off work to follow a face-to-face CELTA course?
- Are you unable to take more than two weeks off to do your CELTA teaching practicum?
- Are you comfortable working with online resources?
- Do you learn better when studying at your own pace?
If you answered ‘yes’ to all or most of the questions above, then the online CELTA course may be the best choice for you.
The CELTA Online is flexible and accessible: you can access the online materials at any time, giving you the flexibility to plan your CELTA work around your other professional and personal commitments.
The Cambridge CELTA Course Online is a blended learning course, combining online self-study with hands-on teaching practice. As with the face-to-face course, the Cambridge CELTA Course Online has two components:
- Input, which is delivered online with tutor support and
- Teaching Practice, for which you need to travel to CELT Athens.
Important Information (for the blended courses)
Online for the first few weeks of the course
- For the first weeks, you will be working on the course’s LMS (Learning Management System) which includes all the units of work to prepare you for teaching.
- You will not be on your own! For the online component of the course, you will be assigned an online course tutor who will facilitate your work and provide you with feedback on assignments work and general progress.
- You will also be working collaboratively in the forum provided and experiencing ‘live room’ tasks with tutor support, evaluation, and comment.
- The online component of the course is not just studying resources: Our online platform will provide you with a flexible and engaging learning experience. Online tasks are practical and interactive.
- You will cover the same topics as those following the face-to-face course.
- Other than the online tasks, you will also complete and submit four assessed written assignments.
During this time, you will be able to log in and study at any time of the day or night convenient to you. Apart from the occasional ‘live classes’ which will be in the form of webinars, you will be free to regulate your own work and study time.
Teaching Practice in Athens
Teaching real students for a minimum of six hours – usually 8 or 9 40 – 45 minute lessons with students at CELT Athens – is the heart of the CELTA course.
The amount, support and learning derived from this supervised teaching, is what makes this course so highly recommended, Teachers benefit from observing their tutors, their colleagues and learning from self and peer evaluations!!
- The Cambridge CELTA Course Online uses exactly the same model of face-to-face supervised lesson planning, teaching practice, evaluation and feedback.
- Each trainee completes six hours’ assessed teaching practice. This involves teaching on eight occasions and observing the teaching of other trainees in the teaching practice group. You teach learners at a minimum of two different levels, one of which will be lower than intermediate and the other intermediate level or higher.
- As well as gaining hands-on experience teaching real learners, you will observe experienced teachers teaching classes of adult learners and watch peers teach their classes and participate in giving feedback.
This Teaching Practice component means that you will have to visit Athens (if you don’t already live there) for either an intensive stretch of about two weeks, or, a number of single one-day visits. Please ask us for more details by mail or during the interview with a course tutor.
The Online CELTA
- provides you with a CELTA Certificate which is the same as for the face-to-face course
- covers the same content and knowledge as a contact/ face-to-face course
- is well supported by CELT Athens tutors during the online component as well as during the two weeks in Athens
- is assessed by a Cambridge appointed assessor in Athens. The assessor observes face-to-face teaching practice and has access to online materials and trainee assignments.
School Details – Athens
The centre is situated in the heart of Athens and is easily accessible from every part of the city. It ha been an Authorised Cambridge Teaching Awards Centre since 1993.
The centre is especially supportive to its trainees, and offers:
- Multilingual classes of adults where our candidates can observe and be observed while teaching.
- Excellent pre-, while- and post-course support through a Delta course dedicated wiki with organised links, articles, and resources as well as sample assignments and videotaped seminars for preparation and revision.
- Free internet access and use of PCs for lesson preparation and materials design
- An excellent ELT dedicated library and resources, which have received high praise by trainees and Cambridge assessors.
For more information – points of contact
Centre for English Language & Training, 3 G.Gennadiou Street, 106 78 Athens, Greece
Tel +30 210 3302406 | +30 210 3301455 | Fax +30 210 3301202| E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org