In view of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have included some provisional course dates for this course option which you can check if you follow this link.
N. B. For reasons to do with the fact that there is now a fully online Cambridge CELTA course option, from now on we will call this course option (online study and teaching in Athens) the Blended CELTA
Information about the Blended CELTA course
A blended course completed part time online & in Athens
Please read the General Introduction to the CELTA first and come back to this page
- Are you a working professional who cannot take four weeks off work to follow a face-to-face CELTA course?
- Are you unable to take more than two weeks off to do your CELTA teaching practicum?
- Are you comfortable working with online resources?
- Do you learn better when studying at your own pace?
If you answered ‘yes’ to all or most of the questions above, then the online CELTA course may be the best choice for you.
The Cambridge CELTA Course Online is a blended learning course, combining online self-study with hands-on teaching practice. As with the face-to-face course, the Cambridge CELTA Course Online has two components:
- Input, which is delivered online with tutor support and
- Teaching Practice, for which you need to travel to CELT Athens.
The Blended CELTA is flexible and accessible: you can access the online materials at any time, giving you the flexibility to plan your CELTA work around your other professional and personal commitments but you can still do the required teaching practices in a face-to-face class in Athens. We can offer you this course option
in part time mode, which means you will need to be in Athens one morning a week and for 10 consecutive weeks during which
- in part time mode online and two intensive weeks in in Athens During these two weeks you will complete your Teaching Practicum at CELT
Important Information (for the blended courses)
Online for the first few weeks of the course
- For the first weeks, you will be working on the course’s LMS (The Cambridge Learning Management System) which includes all the units of work to prepare you for teaching.
- You will not be on your own! For the online component of the course, you will be assigned an online course tutor who will facilitate your work and provide you with feedback on assignments work and general progress.
- You will also be working collaboratively in the forums provided and experiencing ‘live room’ tasks with tutor support, evaluation, and comment.
- The online component of the course is not just studying resources: Our online platform will provide you with a flexible and engaging learning experience. Online tasks are practical and interactive.
- You will cover the same topics as those following the face-to-face course.
- Other than the online tasks, you will also complete and submit four assessed written assignments.
During this time, you will be able to log in and study at any time of the day or night convenient to you. Apart from the occasional ‘live classes’ which will be in the form of webinars, you will be free to regulate your own work and study time.
Teaching Practice in Athens
Teaching real students for a minimum of six hours – usually 8 or 9 40 – 45 minute lessons with students at CELT Athens – is the heart of the CELTA course.
The amount, support and learning derived from this supervised teaching, is what makes this course so highly recommended, Teachers benefit from observing their tutors, their colleagues and learning from self and peer evaluations!!
- The Cambridge CELTA Course Online uses exactly the same model of face-to-face supervised lesson planning, teaching practice, evaluation and feedback.
- Each trainee completes six hours’ assessed teaching practice. This involves teaching on eight occasions and observing the teaching of other trainees in the teaching practice group. You teach learners at a minimum of two different levels, one of which will be lower than intermediate and the other intermediate level or higher.
- As well as gaining hands-on experience teaching real learners, you will observe experienced teachers teaching classes of adult learners and watch peers teach their classes and participate in giving feedback.
This Teaching Practice component means that you will have to visit Athens (if you don’t already live there) for either an intensive stretch of about two weeks, or, a number of single one-day visits. Please ask us for more details by mail or during the interview with a course tutor.
Important note – we hope to be able to restart this option later in the year as more and more people are getting vaccinated. Stay tuned!
The Blended CELTA
- provides you with a CELTA Certificate which is the same as for the face-to-face course
- covers the same content and knowledge as a contact/ face-to-face course
- is well supported by CELT Athens tutors during the online component as well as during the two weeks in Athens
- is assessed by a Cambridge appointed assessor in Athens. The assessor observes face-to-face teaching practice and has access to online materials and trainee assignments.
School Details – Athens
The centre is situated in the heart of Athens and is easily accessible from every part of the city. It ha been an Authorised Cambridge Teaching Awards Centre since 1993.
The centre is especially supportive to its trainees, and offers:
- Multilingual classes of adults where our candidates can observe and be observed while teaching.
- Excellent pre-, while- and post-course support through a Delta course dedicated wiki with organised links, articles, and resources as well as sample assignments and videotaped seminars for preparation and revision.
- Free internet access and use of PCs for lesson preparation and materials design
- An excellent ELT dedicated library and resources, which have received high praise by trainees and Cambridge assessors.
If for any reason the course cannot run, we will transfer you to the fully online course option which is now permanent!
How we help our fully online trainees
CELTA trainees now teach their students online instead of doing their assessed teach teaching practices at CELT in Athens
We use Zoom as a our online classroom as it has proved easier to access for most of our adult learners even via their mobile phone.
We have reached out to many other countries and our online learners are multicultural and multilingual
We have written a new Teaching Languages Online short preparation course to help candidates with online teaching tools and applications
For more information – points of contact
Centre for English Language & Training, 3 G.Gennadioy Street, 106 78 Athens, Greece
Tel +30 210 3302406 | +30 210 3301455 | Fax +30 210 3301202| E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org